A warning to vehicle owners
Police are warning vehicle owners to be extra vigilant following a spate of thefts of batteries, catalytic converters and fuel. The vehicles attacked are often company vehicles parked within compounds but many are parked on driveways and on the road.
The theft of batteries may be linked to metal theft in the area and due to the weight and awkward nature of vehicle batteries it is likely that a van or other vehicle is used for their transportation.
Precautionary measures to prevent YOU from becoming a victim of crime are
- Locking fuel caps
- Fit anti-siphoning device
- If you have a garage please use it
- If your vehicle is on your driveway think about installing PIR lights
- Consider installing a Thatcham approved alarm to your vehicle – ones that activate if your vehicle is lifted or tilted are particularly effective
- Park your vehicle against the wall this will make it more difficult to siphon fuel
- If you park on the street try to leave your vehicle in a well lit area or near a CCTV camera
- Use a catalytic converter protection device or marking system
Anyone with information about such thefts is asked to call Nottinghamshire Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.