If you will be celebrating this Christmas, on behalf of the Beechdale beat team may I send you our best wishes for the festive period and the New Year. We hope you have not just a fantastic time with family and friends, but also a safe and secure Christmas.
With that in mind, here are few points to remember:
- Burglars don’t take time off for Christmas – please continue to be alert and security conscious.
- And neither do the Police! Someone is always here should you need an officer. Do not be put off from reporting any suspicious persons, vehicles or behaviour to the Police using our non-emergency number 101 – and do not hesitate to use 999 if you believe that a crime is already in progress.
- If you give or receive electrical gifts such as DVD players or games consoles, please remember to make a note of the serial number. You can log it online for free at www.immobilise.com, which is one of the databases that we use to identify stolen property. You can also mark such items with Smartwater – please let us know if you need a pack.
- Please also be conscious of how you dispose of packaging – don’t advertise your new TV or games console by leaving the boxes directly outside your house.
- Will you be visiting family and friends elsewhere, leaving your house unattended? Please ensure that you leave your houses secure and set your alarm if you have one fitted. Use a timer switch to leave a light or two to come on after dark and avoid leaving valuables on display. Let a trusted friend or neighbour know your plans and ask them to keep an eye on your property.
- During cold spells, don’t be tempted to leave your car warming up, engine running, whilst unattended. It could only take a moment for someone to jump in and drive off.
- Don’t drink and drive! If you will be consuming alcohol this Christmas, please remember to allow sufficient time before driving – you could still be over the legal limit well into the morning after a night on the booze. Don’t risk losing your licence – or far worse. If you believe someone may be driving whilst over the limit, please call – you could be helping to take a dangerous driver off the road.
Wishing you a safe and merry Christmas and a happy new year.
PCSO Dan Weaver
PC Lynne Hart
Beechdale Safer Neighbourhoods Team